The holidays will be different this year, and there are a lot of reasons why you might see them as harder than ever before.
Investing in your employee and client relationships during the holiday season is one easy way to set yourself up for success in the new year. And that’s even more true in 2020 when you may not have seen some of them face-to-face in several months, teams have had to adjust to a constantly changing environment, and your typical holiday party just won’t be possible.
Use this holiday season to remind your team and your clients what your brand stands for. At Greetabl, we’ve taken a deep look at our data to identify key trends for the 2020 holiday season that can inform your gift-giving strategy in 2020.
Trend 1: Look Outside of the Christmas Season.
• 7% of 2019 holiday gifts were sent for Thanksgiving
• 3% of 2019 holiday gifts were sent for New Years
• The remaining 90% of 2019 holiday gifts were sent for the key winter holiday gift-giving season
You can make an impact by sending your gifts outside of the Christmas season.
Very few companies send gifts to employees or clients during the Thanksgiving or New Years holidays, and there are other gifting moments that see even less competition. Think creatively and time your gifts when they have the biggest chance to stand out from the crowd.
Trend 2: Plan to Send More Gifts.
• Gifting is up 180% YoY in 2020
• The average corporate gifting order has been 40% larger in 2020 than in 2019
• During the peak of shelter in place orders, gifting demand spiked higher than 500% YoY
Companies are sending more gifts in 2020 than they have in years past. With WFH trends sticking around longer than expected and a greater emphasis on customer retention, expect to have larger lists for holiday gifting this year and plan your budget accordingly.
Trend 3: Tell Your People You Miss Them.
• 900% increase YoY in gifts that have a “miss you” message
• Gifts with a clear sentiment attached to them have become Greetabl’s top performing products in 2020
• “I Miss Your Face” Greetabl design moved from being the 10th best performing design in 2019 to the 3rd best in 2020
One of the most common messages sent with gifts in 2020 has been “we miss you.” Use your holiday gifts to let your clients and employees know that you appreciate them and cannot wait to be able to see them in large social gatherings and normal office life again soon.
Trend 4: Personalization is King.
• Growing interest in personalizing messages for corporate gifts
• Increasing demand for photo-personalized options
With a large number of companies not returning to their offices until later in 2021, sending gifts for an entire team to share will be challenging this year. Sending personalized gifts to individuals will be a major trend in holiday gifting as a result.
All of your small gestures go farther than normal right now, but the holidays this year will be a transitional time that will feel more charged than ever.
By the end of the year, the light at the end of the tunnel will feel brighter than ever. Your customers and employees are looking for something to look forward to. You can be part of helping shape their perspective to one of hope for better days and excitement about what is to come. COVID-19 may not be behind us yet, but the holiday season is the perfect time to celebrate the way we have come together to fight this pandemic, and to look forward to all we will achieve in the new year.
Because of this, you’ve got low hanging fruit to deliver an exceptional experience and make your clients obsessed, raving fans, and to remind your employees why they love working on your team.
Download our holiday trends report to learn more.